Thursday, July 23, 2009

Star Wars Legacy

Due to the large and ever-growing fan base of the Star Wars universe, I felt compelled to find out just how good the 6 movies really were. With the viewing of the Arnold Schwarzenneger version of Star Wars fresh in my mind from the Star Wars fan contest, the movies seem to have created a different world for fans to constantly dream about. I first typed each of the movies into rottentomatoes.com, and then to IMDB.com. The results were interesting...

Star Wars IV A New Hope: (IMDB) 8.8 our of 10, considered the 12th best movie of all time. (RottenTomatoes) 95% out of 100.

Star Wars V The Empire Strikes Back: (IMDB) also has an 8.8 rating and is considered the 10th best movie of all time. (RottenTomatoes) 97%

Star Wars VI The Return of the Jedi: (IMDB) 8.3 rating, considered the 113th best film of all time. (RottenTomatoes) 75%

Star Wars I The Phantom Menace: (IMDB) 6.4 out of ten, not in the top 250. (RottenTomatoes) 63%

Star Wars II Attack of the Clones: (IMDB) in my opinion an underrated 6.8 out of 10, not in the top 250. (RottenTomatoes) 67%

Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith: (IMDB) 7.9 rating, not in the top 250. (RottenTomatoes) 79%.

Therefore, The Empire Strikes back slightly is the greatest Star Wars movie of all time as voted by millions, and the orignal from 1977 is a close second.

2 comments:

  1. I would tend to agree with that, personally. At some point I need to revisit Episodes 1-3, but seeing them all in the theater was a "well that was that, then" kind of feeling each and every time. But then again, I was a kid when the first two films came out--going into 2nd or 3rd grade when STAR WARS appeared (still remember studying the promotional poster at the Strand Theater in Manitowoc, WI trying to figure out what half those creatures were--and crying a fit when we went on a family trip to AZ and I was afraid I wouldn't get to ever see the movie! Apparently it was already a phenomenon, as my dad told me not to worry, that it'd still be around when I got back home in two weeks. Correct!)

    Rotten Tomatoes is a site I'm aware of but don't use that often. I like the "collective intelligence" aspect of what they're doing, though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree with RottenTomatoes not being very accurate, as I use IMDB 99% of the time.

    ReplyDelete