Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Globalisation

Part of Chapter 15 in The Media Student's Book that interested me was the closer look at US cultural power on page 490. It explains specifically how "North America is a continent of immigrants", and how "Hollywood cinema is an example of the hybridising as well as the homogenising drives within the growing dominance of US forms." The section soon goes into the textual strategies they use, that are true and I never thought about before. In Europe the movies are titled differently for the audience. They edit the films to appeal to the respected audience but I'm not sure if I agree with this procedure. To me a film is what it is. They shouldn't be fake to become 'popular' in my opinion, rather be direct and bold. I understand British films in Britain from British directors having British actors, accents, and settings. Anything edited to cushion an audience is only a ploy to attain a little extra money but takes away legitimacy. I'd rather use the "cultural vagueness" and be open to a large audience than switch scenes for them.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you, I understand people want to make a buck off of their movies, and by catering to specific audiences will yeild more profit, but its your art, your vision, and you shouldn't sacrfice that for money. Also some audiences don't want to be treated that way. When I see a foreign film, I don't mind subtitles obviously, but I want to see the film as it was orignally intended. I don't think I'm alone in that either.

    ReplyDelete